Engagement Ring Guide

Discover the perfect engagement ring for your loved one with our comprehensive Engagement Ring Guide.

Explore a stunning collection of exquisite designs, from classic diamonds to vibrant gemstones. Learn about the 4Cs, various cuts, and metal options to make an informed choice. Find guidance on sizing, budgeting, and maintenance, ensuring a timeless symbol of love.

If you still need guidance, don't hesitate to contact us. We would be honoured to be part of your special day.

Oval cut diamond engagement ring with gold band from LeGassick Gold Coast, Australia

Choosing The Right Diamond

We pay attention to each of the 4Cs - Cut, Colour, Clarity and Carat -  ensuring bright, beautiful, sparkling diamonds every single time. Of the 4Cs, cut- its proportion and symmetry- is the most important factor in determining a diamond's beauty, value, and light performance.

Diamond Shape

Diamond shape refers to the geometric appearance of a diamond. Diamond shapes are categorised into two groups: round diamonds and fancy shape diamonds. The shape of a diamond isn't just for looks - it also affects how light passes through it, how it looks on your hand, and how resistant it is to damage.

Emmeline is a round brilliant-cut 1.50ct diamond ring. Part of the Beyond Luxury Collection by LeGassick Jewellers Gold Coast, Australia.

Round Brilliant Cut Diamond

A round brilliant cut diamond is the classic diamond cut, popular in every style of diamond jewellery. Round brilliant cut diamonds make up about 75% of all diamond purchases.

18 Carat Gold With 0.50 Carat Oval Diamond Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Oval Cut Diamond

The oval diamond is a beautiful brilliant cut diamond that is considered a fancy shape. It has a symmetrical, elongated shape that creates an illusion of length on the hand.

1.00ct Princess Cut Diamond Engagement Ring set in 18ct White Gold available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Princess Cut Diamond

Princess diamonds are among the most popular diamond cuts with a square shape and pointed corners. The square princess cut boasts brilliance comparable to the round brilliant cut.

Athena features a 3.02 carat Emerald-cut solitaire diamond, handcrafted in platinum and supported by 12 round brilliant cut diamonds in the band totalling 0.48ct. Athena is softened by a fine ribbon of rose gold around the white diamond, delicately set with rare Argyle pink diamonds. She was designed and handcrafted by LeGassick's Master Jewellers, Gold Coast, Australia.

Emerald Cut Diamonds

The emerald cut is an elegant rectangular shape with cropped corners and elongated horizontal facets. Its distinct appearance is achieved through the step cuts on its pavilion and large top surface that creates a hall-of-mirrors effect, playing with light and dark planes.

18 Carat Gold Cushion Halo Diamond Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia

Cushion Cut Diamond

The cushion cut diamond combines a square cut with rounded corners, much like a pillow – hence its name 'cushion cut’. Similar to the old mine cut diamonds, but they feature modern brilliant cut faceting. 

18 Carat Gold With 0.53 Carat Pear Diamond Solitaire Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Pear Cut Diamond

The pear cut is a diamond cut that combines the oval and marquise cuts to create a teardrop shape. This hybrid cut results in a diamond that is both fiery and sparkly, making it a popular choice.

Marquise Solitaire 0.70 carat diamond engagement ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Marquise Cut Diamond

The marquise cut diamond is an elongated oval shape with pointed ends and a facet arrangement that echoes that of the round brilliant cut. The elongated shape can also create the illusion of greater size.

0.80ct Radiant Cut Engagement Ring set with a Argyle Pink Diamond available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Radiant Cut Diamond

The Radiant cut combines the elegance of the emerald shape with the brilliance of the round brilliant cut, resulting in a square or rectangular shape. Despite being a relatively new cut, it is becoming increasingly popular.

Engagement Ring Styles

Learning about design terminology for popular styles can help you identify your preferences and provide inspiration for getting started.

2.01ct 6 Claw Solitaire Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Solitaire

The solitaire setting is designed to highlight a single, breathtaking diamond or gemstone. Any diamond shape can serve as a gorgeous centrepiece in this traditional setting. This style is the most traditional of engagement rings.

0.40ct Pear Cut Diamond Halo Engagement Ring set in Yellow and White Gold available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Halo

The Halo setting uses smaller diamonds to surround the centre stone. Unlike other settings, the diamonds are not featured on the ring band, but are instead placed around the centre stone to emphasise it.

18 Carat Gold 0.50ct Oval Diamond Engagement Ring with Diamond Band available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Diamond Shoulders

Diamond shoulders typically feature smaller stones, often diamonds, that run along the band on both sides of the central stone. There are numerous ways to creatively position these shoulder stones on a ring.

1.20ct Radiant Cut Trilogy Ring set in 18ct Yellow and White Gold available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Trilogy

A trilogy or 3-stone design comprises of three primary diamonds or gemstones, typically with the centre stone being the largest and the stones on each side being smaller. However, they can also have equal sizes.

Choosing a Metal

Selecting a suitable metal for an engagement ring is crucial for everyday use. That's why we craft our engagement rings using 18ct yellow, white, and rose gold, as well as platinum.

0.52ct Double Claw Solitaire Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

18ct Yellow Gold

18ct yellow gold is made up of 75% pure gold and 25% alloy of other metals used to strengthen the metal and adjust its colour. Yellow Gold is made when pure Gold is mixed with Copper and Zinc. Mixing different amounts of Gold, Copper and Zinc creates different hues of yellow.

1.00ct Oval Diamond Ring set in 18ct White Gold available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

18ct White Gold

18ct white gold is made up of 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% is made up of other metals that are used to strengthen the gold and adjust its colour. White gold is created using silver and palladium to give the metal its distinct whiter hue.

LeGassick 1.00ct Diamond Solitaire Rose Gold available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

18ct Rose Gold

18ct rose gold is made up of 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% is made up of other metals that are used to strengthen the gold and adjust its colour. Rose gold contains more copper to produce a pink tone in the gold.

Camilla 6 Prong Engagement Ring From Hearts On Fire available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Platinum

Platinum has a distinctive white colour, and its density makes it strong and heavier than gold. Containing 95% platinum and only 5% other alloys, platinum retains its bright white colour.

18 Carat Gold With 0.53 Carat Pear Diamond Solitaire Engagement Ring available at LeGassick Diamonds and Jewellery Gold Coast, Australia.

Ring Sizing

The best way to work out your finger size is to come into one of our LeGassick stores so we can measure your finger. If you are wanting to buy a ring as a surprise, or you are not able to come into one of our stores, please use our LeGassick Ring Size Guide.

Schedule An Appointment

Book an appointment with our experts. Whether you are looking for a diamond, interesting in creating your own dream piece, or simply enquiring, our highly experienced team will ensure your journey is seamless. We look forward to helping you find your dream LeGassick piece.